Update: This applies to Windows 8 as well.
Description:This article outlines the process of configuring Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account on startup.
- Left click on the Start Button on Windows 7
- Type “netplwiz” (without the quotes) into the Search programs and files Field. On Windows 8, type netplwiz on Start screen.
- Press the Enter Button on your keyboard.
- Left click on the Check Box to the left of “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.
- Left click on the OK Button.
- Uncheck “Users must enter a user and password to use this computer”, a confirmation box will pop up.
- Enter the information associated with the account to which you would like Windows to automatically log on into the “Automatically Log On” Window that appears.
- Left click on the OK Button to complete the process.
Source: Microcenter Tech Support